Vegetables to Grow in this Rainy Season in India
Rain is essential for the growth and development of crops in India. It provides water for irrigation, replenishes soil moisture, and influences the climate and weather patterns. Rain also affects the quality and quantity of agricultural produce, as well as the income and livelihood of Indian farmers.
According to the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, about 50% of India’s net sown area is rainfed, which means it depends entirely on rainfall for irrigation. Therefore, the importance of rain in Indian agriculture cannot be overstated.
Which vegetables are best to grow in this rainy season?
The rainy season, also known as the monsoon season, is the ideal time to grow vegetables in India. The rain provides ample water for the Kharif crops, reduces the need for irrigation, and lowers the risk of drought. Monsoon in India also cools down the temperature, which is beneficial for many vegetables that cannot thrive in extreme heat.
The rainy season is also a good time to grow herbs such as coriander, turmeric, mint, basil, and ginger, which can add flavor and aroma to Indian and continental dishes. Monsoon in India is the best time to grow vegetables because it offers many advantages for both the farmers and the consumers.
Here are some of the popular vegetables best grown in monsoon in India:
Okra is a popular vegetable crop in India that cultivates in warm and humid weather. The vegetable is sown throughout the year, but the most beneficial season for cultivation is the monsoon: extending from June to September. Okra (Bhindi ) needs well-drained and fertile soil with arounda pH of 6.5 to 7.5.
Buy okra seeds, and sow them at a depth of 2-3 centimeters with a spacing of around 50 cm between rows and 20 cm between plants. The okra crop requires good irrigation, weeding, and fertilization for the best growth and yield.
Bitter gourd (Karela)
Bitter gourd, also known as Karela, is another popular vegetable in India offering an array of health benefits. The Kharif vegetable is widely used in various Indian cuisine. It can grow well in monsoon season, but the vegetable requires some care and attention.
- Select a sunny place with well-drained soil for planting bitter gourd seeds. Avoid waterlogged or clayey soil as they can cause root rot and fungal diseases.
- Buy quality bitter gourd seeds and sow them about 2 cm deep and 30 cm apart in rows. Cover the seeds of Bitter gourd (Karela) gently with soil. Water them smoothly and the seeds will germinate in a week or two.
- Provide support for the bitter gourd vines to climb on. You can opt for a trellis, bamboo pole, or a simple net.
- Apply organic fertilizer every fortnight to boost the growth and yield of bitter gourd. Farmers in India also opt for compost, vermicompost, cow dung, or neem cake as fertilizer.
Bottle gourd (Lokee)
Lokee, or bottle gourd is a popular vegetable crop in India. Widely used in day-to-day staple food and special items or cuisines in India, this kharif vegetable excellently thrives in the rainy season. To grow a bottle gourd successfully, one needs to follow some basic steps.
- Select well-drained and fertile soil with a pH of around 7. Sow the quality bottle gourd seeds bought from top agriculture marketplace in raised beds in a controlled environment after soaking them in water for 24 hours.
- Transplant the bottle gourd seedlings to the main field when they have 3-4 tender leaves. Leave a space between around 2 x 2 meters. Water them gently to get the best crops.
Cucumber, Kheera, or Kakadi is a popular Indian vegetable crop that can be grown in the rainy (monsoon) season across the country. However, it needs some special care and management to get the best yield and quality.
There are many varieties of cucumber seeds available in online agriculture marketplaces such as Badi Kheti; nevertheless, not all of them are meant for monsoon cultivation in India. Some of the recommended varieties for the monsoon season are Haritha, Esta, SaliniUrja, etc. You can buy cucumber seeds online as these varieties are best for most of the seasons. Choose well-drained, fertile, and sandy loam soil with a pH of 6.0 to 6.5.
According to agriculturists, the best time to sow cucumber seeds in the Indian rainy season is between the months June and July. The cucumber seeds should be treated with the best fungicides and insecticides before sowing to prevent seed-borne diseases and insect attacks. The vegetable seeds should be sown at a depth of around two centimeters with a space of 60 x 45 cm.
Tomatoes or Tamatar are one of the most popular crops in India, especially during the rainy seasons in India. However, sowing tomato seeds in the rainy season can pose some risks because they may get affected by fungal diseases, insect pests, and nourishment issues. To grow quality tomatoes in monsoon in India, some of the advisable practices are:
- Choose well-drained soil with good organic matter content and pH between 6.0 and 7.0. Select and buy a suitable variety of organic tomato seeds that are resistant or tolerant to common diseases and pests.
- Buy the best nutrition i.e., fertilizers according to soil test results and crop requirements. Use organic manures and biofertilizers to enhance soil fertility and microbial activity.
- Assure that the Tomato seedlings have enough irrigation and drainage that maintains optimal soil moisture and avoids water wastage or excess while farming.
Buy organic seeds online and welcome monsoon with the best crops
Monsoon is a great season to grow healthy kharif vegetables in fields or farms in India. You need to buy high-quality vegetable seeds for your plants to thrive. For this, a top agriculture ecommerce marketplace such as BadiKheti is the best place to buy seeds online at an affordable price.
Badi Kheti offers a wide range of high-quality seeds suitable for monsoon vegetable farming. On this agriculture Indian marketplace, you can buy seeds for leafy greens, root vegetables, herbs, flowers, and many more. All the seeds sold on this renowned agriculture eCommerce are organic, non-GMO, and tested for germination. Plus, you get benefits of different discounts and offers. So do not wait, order your seeds today and start rainy season vegetable farming in India.